- About Us
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Learn more about Waldorf Education
- Urban Prairie Newsletter
- Non-Discrimination Policy
- Supporting Our Transgender and Non-binary Students and Community Members
- Media Statement
- Standardized Testing Statement
- Environmental Sustainability
- Board of Trustees
- Faculty & Staff
- Parent Child Programs
- Waldorf Early Childhood Program
- Grade School
- Three Streams of Student Support
- After School
- Adult Education
- Summer Camps
- SUPPORT US
- CONTACT US
- Parent Child Classroom
begins with wonder."
begins with wonder."
Employment OpportunitiesWe are currently seeking to fill the following positions:
First Grade Teacher
Urban Prairie Waldorf School in Chicago’s near west side seeks a first grade teacher as we continue to grow.
We are a dynamic and forward thinking Waldorf school that is supported by an involved community as well as a highly inspired, enthusiastic, and energetic faculty and administration. Urban Prairie is an exciting, challenging and vigorous environment to work in, and we seek teachers who are passionate and committed to providing children with an exemplary Waldorf education and willing to work collaboratively, in and out of the classroom. In support of our commitment and vision, we believe strongly in investing heavily in our employees and offer a strong compensation package including a competitive salary structure, medical, short-term disability, long-term disability, 401K benefits, and annual professional development.
Our school serves Early Childhood through 8th grade and includes Eurythmy, Spanish, Mandarin, handwork, music, orchestra, movement, woodwork and other practical arts. In 2018-19, we moved into our new campus — a 50,000 square feet building that includes 23 classrooms, a gym, science lab, kitchen, cafeteria and a large outdoor space. Urban Prairie is committed to stewarding our land with health and gratitude, and our master plan is in its beginning stages allowing our faculty and community to dream into our new home.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in education,
- Enthusiasm for delivering a Waldorf education that is relevant to the 21st century child and develops social responsibility
- Commitment to understanding diversity in our school community and our surrounding neighborhood community, and bringing this as part of our students’ education.
- Ability to work in collaborative manner in an environment of mutual support.
- Flexibility and a growth mindset.
- Commitment to personal and professional growth.
- Strong verbal and written personal communication skills.
- A minimum of three – five years of experience in education is preferred
- Waldorf Teacher Training certification underway or a commitment to beginning within first year of employment at Urban Prairie.
Urban Prairie does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, nationality, ethnic origin, gender or physical ability in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, financial assistance programs, and other school-administered programs.
Applicants should send a letter of interest, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Detailed job description can be provided upon request.
Urban Prairie Waldorf School on Chicago’s near west side seeks a Pedagogical Director.
On the cusp of our 10th anniversary, UPWS seeks a strong and charismatic leader to lead our faculty out of our pioneering stage and into our next phase of development as an organization. During our first 10 years, our innovative start-up culture attracted a highly inspired, enthusiastic, and energetic faculty who are committed to a dynamic and forward-thinking approach to Waldorf education. We have an involved community of parents and new alumni and a supportive and highly dedicated administration. We seek an innovative thinker who is disciplined in both thought and action, is both collaborative and decisive, and will bring form and direction to our pedagogical goals and priorities. The school is in the midst of an exciting strategic planning initiative around governance, and this position is core to our leadership planning.
UPWS believes strongly in investing heavily in our employees and offers a strong compensation package, including a competitive salary structure, medical, short-term disability, long-term disability, 401K benefits, and annual professional development.
About the School
Founded in 2009, our school serves Early Childhood through 8th grade and promotes a rich curriculum such as Spanish, Mandarin, handwork, chorus, orchestra, movement, educational support/extra lesson, and woodwork and other practical arts. Significant recent pedagogical initiatives at UPWS have included will-based education, expeditionary learning, Kim John Payne’s Three Streams of Social Support, social inclusion/SEED, and a collaboratively taught middle school program that engages the student in knowing themselves for high school and life preparedness.
After an extensive search, we purchased a new home for our school in 2018. In 2018-19, we moved into our new campus — a 50,000 square foot building that includes 23 classrooms, a gym, science lab, kitchen, cafeteria, and a large outdoor space. Urban Prairie is committed to stewarding our land with health and gratitude, and our Master Plan is in its beginning stages, allowing our faculty and community to dream into our new home.
Pedagogical Director Responsibilities
- Works collaboratively with the faculty, administration, and the Board to support the mission and vision of the school
- Holds and advances the strategic vision of the pedagogical arm of the school
- Has a strong relationship with anthroposophy, which informs the pedagogical “big picture”
- Works with the faculty to deepen knowledge and understanding of anthroposophy, pedagogy, curriculum, and child development
- Oversees the faculty in the planning, implementation, and management of day-to-day affairs related to classroom and pedagogical decisions at Urban Prairie Waldorf School
- Oversees teacher professional development, mentoring, and support
- Mediates/facilitates parent-teacher and teacher-teacher relations where necessary
- Has a widely visible presence throughout the school
- Is available to answer questions and concerns about the curriculum from parents and the greater community
- Represents the school to the parent body and public.
- Is a member of the faculty and may teach in the classroom on a limited basis
Candidate Qualities and Capacities
- Strong communicator
- Solid leadership and human resources capacities (hiring, mentoring, assessing)
- Full of energy and enjoys working hard
- Open-minded, patient, and relates well to all kinds of people
- Forward thinking, strategic, and able learn and adapt to successes and failures to strengthen our organization
- Enthusiastic for delivering a Waldorf education that is relevant to the 21st century child and develops social responsibility
- Committed to understanding diversity in our school community and our surrounding neighborhood community, and able to foster a teaching culture that brings this as part of our students’ education
- Able to work in a collaborative manner in an environment of mutual support
- Flexible, with a growth mindset
- Committed to personal and professional growth
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in liberal arts or education, and Waldorf teaching certification
- Minimum of 8 years teaching experience, preferably through grades 1-8
- Minimum of 5 years of proven leadership experience to include experience facilitating human resources processes
- Ability to lead a College of Teachers, preferably with previous experience on a College or a similar body, including demonstrated leadership
- Experience researching and building new and innovative curriculum as well as the standard Waldorf academic curriculum
- Demonstrated track record of excellent verbal and written personal communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel, comfortable using email, and able to learn the school’s database and other software systems
Starting salary is competitive and takes into consideration years of experience. Applicants should send a letter of interest, resume, and three references to email@example.com. Urban Prairie is an equal opportunity employer.
Urban Prairie seeks an aftercare teachers for grades Early Childhood – 7th grade. The teacher will be expected to:
- gather students from each classroom after dismissal;
- escort students outside;
- monitor and encourage positive play outside;
- lead games or activities; and
- bring students inside for a school-provided snack and indoor playtime.
- Assist at reception desk and greet parents.
We are looking for an individual who possesses the following skills:
- Prior experience working with elementary-aged children;
- Effective communication with parents
- Planning structured, grade appropriate outdoor/ indoor activities
Working as a team with other UPWS aftercare teachers
Discipling/redirecting children into positive play and behavior
Keeping all children in a calm and content state of mind
We are looking for a charismatic, self-starting individual for this role. The position is paid $15/hour. The position is available for immediate hire.
If interested, please send your resume and letter of interest via email to:Administration@urbanpriaire.org
Substitute Teachers (General)
Urban Prairie Waldorf School is expanding our full-day substitute teacher list. We invite experienced teachers, advanced M.Ed. students, and Waldorf teacher training students to apply for this wonderful opportunity to gain hands-on experience in a Waldorf classroom. We will hold an observation and training day in early March to familiarize substitute teachers with Waldorf methods. Lesson and classroom guidelines will be provided for each grade.
To join the list, please send a note of introduction and a summary of your qualifications here ».