- About Us
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Learn more about Waldorf Education
- Urban Prairie Newsletter
- Non-Discrimination Policy
- Supporting Our Transgender and Non-binary Students and Community Members
- Media Statement
- Standardized Testing Statement
- Environmental Sustainability
- Board of Trustees
- Faculty & Staff
- Playgroup Programs (FKA Parent Child)
- Early Childhood Program
- Grade School
- Three Streams of Student Support
- After School
- Adult Education
- Summer Camps
- SUPPORT US
- CONTACT US
- Playgroup in the Classroom
begins with wonder."
begins with wonder."
Employment OpportunitiesWe are currently seeking to fill the following positions:
Urban Prairie Waldorf School, a grade school serving pre-kindergarten – eighth grade students, located on the near west side of Chicago is seeking an Aftercare Teacher.
Urban Prairie seeks a aftercare teacher for grades Early Childhood – 8th grade. The teacher will be expected to:
- gather students at dismissal;
- escort students outside;
- monitor and encourage positive play outside;
- lead games or activities; and
- bring students inside for a school-provided snack and indoor playtime.
- Assist at reception desk and greet parents.
We are looking for an individual who possesses the following skills:
- Prior experience working with elementary-aged children;
- Effective communication with parents
- Planning structured, grade appropriate outdoor/ indoor activities
- Working as a team with other UPWS aftercare teachers
- Discipling/redirecting children into positive play and behavior
- Keeping all children in a calm and content state of mind
We are looking for a charismatic, self-starting individual for this role. Approximately 15 hours per week, work hours range from 2:30 – 6:00 p.m. Starting compensation is competitive and takes into consideration years of experience. Applicants should send a letter of interest relevant to the position, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Urban Prairie Waldorf School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Eurythmy Teacher - Part Time
Urban Prairie Waldorf School seeks a part time Eurythmy Teacher to teach Eurythmy to Grades 1 – 8 in blocks.
During our first 10 years, our innovative start-up culture attracted a highly inspired, enthusiastic, and energetic faculty who are committed to a dynamic and forward-thinking approach to Waldorf education. We have an involved community of parents and new alumni, and a supportive and highly dedicated administration.
UPWS believes in investing heavily in our employees and offers a strong compensation package, including a competitive salary structure, medical, short-term disability, long-term disability, 401K benefits, and annual professional development.
About the School
Founded in 2009, our school serves Early Childhood through 8th grade and promotes a rich curriculum such as Spanish, Mandarin, handwork, chorus, orchestra, movement, educational support/extra lesson, and woodwork and other practical arts. Significant recent pedagogical initiatives at UPWS have included will-based education, expeditionary learning, Kim John Payne’s Three Streams of Social Support, social inclusion/SEED, and a collaboratively taught middle school program that engages the student in knowing themselves for high school and life preparedness.
After an extensive search, we purchased a new home for our school in 2018. In 2018-19, we moved into our new campus — a 50,000 square foot building that includes 23 classrooms, a gymnasium, science lab, kitchen space, and a large outdoor space. Urban Prairie is committed to stewarding our land with health and gratitude. Our Master Plan is in its beginning stages, allowing our faculty and community to dream into our new home.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Deliver age-appropriate Eurythmy curriculum
- Block and lesson planning in subject aligned with Waldorf curriculum by grade and subject.
- Understanding of childhood development to be used in lesson planning and classroom management
- Appropriate and effective classroom management including use of the school’s Three Stream discipline and support process and tools
- Ensure student safety in accordance with school policy and procedure
- Communicate and work with parents in accordance with UPWS guidelines in parent and employee handbooks
- Write student mid-year, block and year end reports in accordance with grade level and UPWS standards
- Maintain a clean and organized classroom and workspace
- Participate in assigned committee work
- Participate in the school’s mentoring and evaluation programs / processes
- Participate in all school and classroom events
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment in managing classroom supply budget and field trip budget
- Adhere to employee expectations and Communication Guidelines
- Strong knowledge of Eurythmy.
- Enthusiasm for delivering a Waldorf education that is relevant to the 21st century child and develops social responsibility
- Have a relationship and commitment to working with Anthroposophy
- Commitment to understanding diversity in our school community and our surrounding neighborhood community, and bringing this as part of our students’ education.
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner in an environment of mutual support.
- Flexibility and a growth mindset.
- Commitment to personal and professional growth.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred not required
- Waldorf Teacher Training certification underway or a commitment to beginning within first year of employment at Urban Prairie and complete within 3 years of initial start date or other agreed upon date. Note: Subject-specific Waldorf training is acceptable, such as Spacial Dynamics.
- A minimum of three – five years of experience in education and teaching Eurythmy is preferred
- E-mail used on a daily basis
- Knowledge of Microsoft word and excel, Google documents, Dropbox, and Trello
Nondiscrimination statement Urban Prairie Waldorf School does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational program, admission policies or financial aid policies. Urban Prairie is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants should send a letter of interest, resume, and three references to email@example.com.
Substitute Teachers (General)
Urban Prairie Waldorf School is expanding our full-day substitute teacher list. We invite experienced teachers, advanced M.Ed. students, and Waldorf teacher training students to apply for this wonderful opportunity to gain hands-on experience in a Waldorf classroom. We will hold an observation and training day in early March to familiarize substitute teachers with Waldorf methods. Lesson and classroom guidelines will be provided for each grade.
To join the list, please send a note of introduction and a summary of your qualifications here ».