The trip to Volo Bog was fantastic, and I hope that your child has told you all about it. The day was crisp and beautiful and we got to see some really great wildlife: nesting swans, coyotes, egrets, geese, and deer!
We are back in the classroom on Monday, beginning our studies of capacity and measurement. We will be working with wet measure this week, culminating in some cooking and baking. This is another hands on block full of experience and activity, in addition to a bit of math (conversions) and writing (recipes!). I will post some of our work this week on the blog, so please keep your eyes open!
Each day we have continued talking a bit about social roles, actions, and choices in the context of our daily life. The conversations have been great and have provided a useful framework to work from as issues with the children arise. If you have any questions about this, please don’t hesitate to get in touch, and of course please feel free to share anything going on on your end. Also, please RSVP here for an evening at Chris and Tara’s house.
- Friday, May 1. Grandparents Day. Please be sure to have guests RSVP before Friday! It promises to be a fantastic day! Please see the administrative update for details.
- Wednesday, May 13 – Friday, May 15. Farm Trip to Angelic Organics. We are still looking for tents! If you are interested in loaning one out for the trip, please let me know ASAP. Also, keep an eye on your email boxes for packing lists, etc.
- Monday, May 18 – Friday, June 5. Modern House Building. Renovating? Building a new home? If you know anyone who has a home in any of the various stages of construction, please let me know. It would be great to have the children take a tour if possible. We are still working with the church on possibilities for our building project. I will let you know once everything is approved. If you are interested in lending a hand during this block we will need help with the following…
- Purchasing. If you enjoy shopping at Home Depot, then this is for you. We will likely buy all of our lumber and materials in one shot.
- Cutting. We will need someone to provide cuts of our lumber. Depending on the project, this could be as much as 100 or so cuts, some angled, some not. This would be done before the block begins.
- Pre-Drilling. Some help pre-drilling holes will make things run much smoother. This can be done on a day by day basis.
- Spelling Homework: high, every, between, below, country
- Math Facts: 23 – 11, 132 ÷ 11, 132 ÷ 10, 8 + 16, 63 – 21
- Math Challenges: 43,194 + 293; 30305 – 8593; 40033 ÷ 6; 342 x 9