Seeking Future-Facing Waldorf Class Teachers
Urban Prairie Waldorf School in Chicago offers experienced Waldorf class teachers the opportunity to take the essence of Waldorf education into our current time and place. With a
commitment to bringing Waldorf education to the diversity of today’s urban youth, Urban Prairie teachers bring fresh perspectives to the city landscape. Urban Prairie is a diverse community of families, 47% non-white, including a significant number of biracial and heritage Spanish-speaking Latinx families. Our variable tuition model draws families from across the socio-economic spectrum, and our faculty and student support specialists welcome diverse learners.
Urban Prairie offers a solid compensation package that includes a competitive salary; medical, short-term disability and long-term disability insurance; 401K benefits; and annual professional development.
If this sounds like the place for you, please send a letter of interest and resume to the Director of Curriculum and Instruction at email@example.com.
Urban Prairie is an equal-opportunity employer.
● Plan and deliver block plans and lesson plans for skills classes
● Use knowledge of childhood development in planning and implementing lessons
● Manage the classroom using Three Streams discipline and student support processes and tools
● Ensure student safety in accordance with school policies and procedures
● Communicate and work with parents in accordance with UPWS guidelines
● Participate in and contribute to the life of the school, including but not limited to:
○ Committee work and faculty meetings
○ Festivals, open houses, orientations, and community outreach events
○ Parent conferences, faculty work days, teacher conferences
● Perform recess and other duties as assigned
● Write student mid-year, block, and year-end reports as required
● Maintain a clean and organized classroom and workspace
● Participate in the school’s mentoring and evaluation programs and processes
● Exercise discretion and independent judgment in managing classroom supply and field trip budgets
● Adhere to employee expectations as outlined in the UPWS Employee Handbook
● Read, understand, and adhere to all school policies and handbooks in full
● Receive teacher performance evaluations by internal and external evaluators
● Collect student paperwork as necessary, processing or delivering to administrators as needed
● Fulfill legal obligations required by the school, such as medical tests, CPR training, sexual harassment training, background checks, safety training
● Participate in the processing of necessary legal and other paperwork related to the establishment and ongoing operation of the school
● Waldorf certification is strongly preferred
● Waldorf class teaching experience strongly preferred
● Bachelor’s degree in education or a related field required
● Commitment to diversity and inclusion
● Commitment to open, honest communication
● Deep understanding of child development
● Knowledge of and experience with differentiation
Substitute Teachers (General)
Urban Prairie Waldorf School invites experienced teachers, advanced M.Ed. students, and Waldorf teacher training students to apply for this wonderful opportunity to gain hands-on experience teaching Waldorf education in the classroom and, if needed during COVID, as part of hybrid or distance learning. Lesson and classroom guidelines will be provided for each grade.
To join the list, please send a note of introduction and a summary of your qualifications here.»
AGAINST DISCRIMINATION AND HARASSMENT
Urban Prairie Waldorf School is committed to providing a work environment that is free of any type of discrimination or harassment. It is Urban Prairie’s policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment with regard to race, color, sex, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, or any other protected characteristic, in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, compensation, and training. In keeping with this commitment, sexual harassment and harassment on the basis of an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, or any other protected characteristic, will not be tolerated by Urban Prairie. This includes harassment by or against teachers, administrators, staff, students, trustees, parents, and visitors. It is also a violation of this policy to commit or engage in any unprofessional or inappropriate conduct based on any protected basis, whether or not such conduct rises to the level of unlawful. Anyone who engages in any action or conduct that violates this policy will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action, up to and including termination.