Urban Prairie’s Environmental Guiding Principles
In 2019-20, Urban Prairie was proud to be an Illinois finalist for the U.S. Department of Education Green Schools program. Core to our mission in educating children is to encourage reverence and wonder in the world, because that’s where stewardship begins. As we buildout our campus, we strive to be in harmony with our surroundings and emphasize ecological and societal awareness.
UPWS is committed to responsible environmental management and pedagogy throughout our organization. UPWS will operate in a manner that is demonstrably protective of the health of our community, our planet, and its living organisms. In efforts to respect and protect the earth’s resources, to minimize environmental harm, and to serve as a model for our communities, UPWS will:
- Continually seek new and innovative ways to improve environmentally through conservation, waste reduction, and partnering with community members.
- Apply sustainability concepts to achieve optimal environmental, social, and financial health.
- Manage, minimize, and eliminate, whenever possible, the use of harmful materials.
- Use renewable resources and conserve non-renewable resources through efficient utilization and planning.
- Minimize the generation of waste through reduction, reuse, and recycling programs
- Conserve and improve the efficiency of energy, utilities, and water usage, and make efforts to use and promote safe, cost-effective, sustainable energy sources.
- Ensure our community’s health and safety by reducing exposure, using safer technologies, healthier food, and water
- Provide environmental sustainability education and resources to our school community to support our principles.
- Develop and enforce policies to support our environmental principles as necessary.